HISTORY OF THE DETWILER MILL
1780 Adam Hatfield settled the land.
1795 Hatfield received patent for land.
1795 Hatfield sold the land to John Shank, who built and operated a mill there.
1810 Martin Myers purchased mill from Shank heirs.
1816 Myers sold the mill to Adam Slonecker.
1824 Slonecker sold the mill to Samuel Trevor.
1826 Trevor sold the mill to Henry Detwiler.
1834 Detwiler rebuilt the first mill.
1847 Henry Detwiler died and his son Samuel became the owner.
1851 Samuel added steam as a source of power.
1864 On September 26 the second mill burnt.
1865 Samuel rebuilt the mill on the original site.
Some time between 1865 and 1900 Samuel Detwiler sold the mill to his brother John.
1905 John died and his son JC became the owner.
1922-23 Sold to the Pleasant Valley Country Club Association.
Photos & Information Submitted by: Beverly Quinn